2010 MLS Expansion Draft Team by Team Guide – UPDATED
When will it be held?
- Protected lists will be due 11/22 at 11 am
- The draft will be 11/24
What will the rules be?
- 10 players each: The Portland Timbers and the Vancouver Whitecaps will each select ten players from the other 16 MLS rosters.
- Timbers go first: The Timbers have the first pick in the expansion draft, but will select second in the MLS Super Draft which will likely be held sometime in January.
- 11 Players protected: Each of the current MLS teams will be able to protect a combined 11 players from their senior and developmental rosters. (Players that qualify for the Home Grown Player Policy or players still under contractual obligation with the Generation Adidas Program are automatically protected and don’t count towards a protected slot.)
- Max 2 players taken: No team can have more than 2 players drafted from their roster. Also, once a team has a player drafted off their roster, they can then move one non-protect player back to the protected list.
- DPs not automatically protected: Designated Players can be left unprotected, however, if the DP has a no-trade clause in their contract then they’ll automatically be counted towards the 11 protected players.
-Must protect some international players: Clubs are restricted in the number of international player(s) that they may make available. Clubs may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus three, provided that if a Club has three or fewer international players it may make available not more than one.
Expansion Draft History
|Year||# of Players Protected||Teams Picking||Teams in League|
2004 was the last (and only) time there was an expansion draft with two teams.
Last year’s expansion draft featured standout Sébastian Le Toux, who was taken in the fourth round.
|1||Jordan Harvey||D||Colorado Rapids|
|2||Andrew Jacobson||M||D.C. United|
|3||Brad Knighton||GK||New England Revolution|
|4||Sébastien Le Toux||F||Seattle Sounders FC|
|5||Stefani Miglioranzi||M||Los Angeles Galaxy|
|6||Alejandro Moreno||F||Columbus Crew|
|7||David Myrie||D||Chicago Fire|
|8||Shea Salinas||M||San Jose Earthquakes|
|9||Shavar Thomas||D||Chivas USA|
|10||Nick Zimmerman||M||New York Red Bulls|
Who will the teams protect?
Dropping Timber has released a comprehensive guide of all protected and unprotected players for the 2010 MLS Expansion draft.
Posted by Dan